Vanessa Prinz, IBCLC
Prior to becoming an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), I enjoyed a successful, fast-paced career in marketing. Later, when my first child was born, I resigned to become a stay-at-home mom. At the time, I knew I wanted to breastfeed my son. The indisputable benefits of doing so had been instilled in me by my own mother, a proud member of La Leche League who breastfed through second-wave feminism in the late 1970s and early 1980s. While I was determined to “stick it out” no matter what obstacles might arise, I had no idea that I would embrace the experience as much as I did. My enthusiasm for breastfeeding translated into mentoring friends and family members, which led me to dream about—and ultimately pursue—a career as an IBCLC. Today, I am committed to helping other moms establish a positive breastfeeding relationship similar to the one I’ve enjoyed with all four of my children.
My lactation consulting experience includes:
- My long-term role with JOC Lactation Consulting
- Providing private in-home lactation consultations
- Offering follow-up client support through weekly Lactation Station breastfeeding clinics
- Handling phone triage and consultation for incoming client calls
- Teaching the Work It, Pump It back-to-work breastfeeding class I developed
- Creating and leading The Boob Group mom-to-mom breastfeeding support group
- My current role as an IBCLC at Adventist Hinsdale Hospital, both inpatient in the Mother Baby Unit and outpatient in The Nurturing Nook breastfeeding clinic.